the friday effect
This recurrent, weekly pause sometimes brings me nausea, or migraine. Not Saturday, it is Friday the potential aspirin day. Is it all about the religious context of the holiday? It could be, because I clearly remember in Greece it was the Sunday(not cheerful Saturday) church bells that were making my head blow. Perhaps a reminder of penitence and redemption, one can never be sure about these things, universal energy stuff, flying angels, instances that one would rather block than investigate, scrutinize or remember. Or is it the available few extra free hours that cause a general bodily horror, how to deal with them, far from the automatic motions of the established roles?
1. a drive to the countryside- I do not drive, useless creep of philology.
2. a ride to the countryside- So many arrangements have to take place beforehand that we reach early afternoon, many princes to wake up, meanwhile my migraine has disappeared already by itself.
3. a coffee outing at bluefig/abdoun -Yeah, ok, I do that, but there are the families, with the mothers in law and the children, and- worst of all- those clowns who are supposed to keep children busy, and looking at them and their crayons I want everytime to cry.
4. a coffee at home with my best friend- Most of the times, Ala'a passes by, he is the best coffee companion one can dream of, but on Friday mornings he suffers of a strange gush, he keeps revising the whole week, and then he recites poetry for me. Then I am lost among so many varieties of speech: the son, the employee, the dear friend, the poet...
5. Music- Yesssssssss. Today George Onslow, Quintette a cordes opus 78 (strings are not good for headache, but pleasure does you good).
6. A long walk in the Downtown- This is a promise that I 97,4% do not keep and postpone.
7. Calling and answering the phone- Mama, and Baba, (my friends are at work, so it cannot be, on Sundays they are at home, I am at work: we meet virtually either on late-evening-tired-voice occasions or in dreams). But these days it feels nice finding my parents' voices getting again relaxed and hopeful after many weeks of stress and agony.
Yalllllllllla enjoy. It is Friday.....