Friday, February 23, 2007

the friday effect


This recurrent, weekly pause sometimes brings me nausea, or migraine. Not Saturday, it is Friday the potential aspirin day. Is it all about the religious context of the holiday? It could be, because I clearly remember in Greece it was the Sunday(not cheerful Saturday) church bells that were making my head blow. Perhaps a reminder of penitence and redemption, one can never be sure about these things, universal energy stuff, flying angels, instances that one would rather block than investigate, scrutinize or remember. Or is it the available few extra free hours that cause a general bodily horror, how to deal with them, far from the automatic motions of the established roles?

Ways out:

1. a drive to the countryside- I do not drive, useless creep of philology.

2. a ride to the countryside- So many arrangements have to take place beforehand that we reach early afternoon, many princes to wake up, meanwhile my migraine has disappeared already by itself.

3. a coffee outing at bluefig/abdoun -Yeah, ok, I do that, but there are the families, with the mothers in law and the children, and- worst of all- those clowns who are supposed to keep children busy, and looking at them and their crayons I want everytime to cry.

4. a coffee at home with my best friend- Most of the times, Ala'a passes by, he is the best coffee companion one can dream of, but on Friday mornings he suffers of a strange gush, he keeps revising the whole week, and then he recites poetry for me. Then I am lost among so many varieties of speech: the son, the employee, the dear friend, the poet...

5. Music- Yesssssssss. Today George Onslow, Quintette a cordes opus 78 (strings are not good for headache, but pleasure does you good).

6. A long walk in the Downtown- This is a promise that I 97,4% do not keep and postpone.

7. Calling and answering the phone- Mama, and Baba, (my friends are at work, so it cannot be, on Sundays they are at home, I am at work: we meet virtually either on late-evening-tired-voice occasions or in dreams). But these days it feels nice finding my parents' voices getting again relaxed and hopeful after many weeks of stress and agony.

Yalllllllllla enjoy. It is Friday.....

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Moey said...

well, I'll be in champions pub going mad on karaoke, feel free to come and laugh

12:53 PM  
Blogger Vass said...

uhhh sounds tempting but no plans up to now over the evening, i may get crazy for karaoke, or depressive with auden :))

1:00 PM  
Blogger Moey said...

haha, I went to McDonald's and had some fake plastic taste flavored burgers

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a nice walk in our neighbourhood, under the beautiful cloudy sky.
Luma

6:20 PM  
Blogger Vass said...

moey- sa7tein :)
luma- y3teeki al3afieh

i went to the gym for a short while, walking and running, imagining i was on a shore i know well. then i compensated all losses with a generous lebanese feast.

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ya3teek al 3afieh :D

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Friday Fever! I'm glad this day has come to an end, it is over and another dull Friday won't come back until 6 wonderful days pass by...

Enjoy the rest of the weekend! Saturday! Sounds promising! :):):)

Diana

12:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fridays aren't that bad after all.. I personally think they reload me with the energy I need for the new coming week.. the weather on fridays is always special and different than the rest of the days.. It's cleaner, beautier, and fresher.. friday has indeed an effect, a special one.

1:01 AM  
Blogger Vass said...

Now, Diana, neither Sabbath nor Saturnus promise symbolically much (unless you like splutter movies...:)))but better than being fried-dayed. But Friday is nice, yeah, once you find the motivation to get up and go out early, in the calm streets. I like the empty Dwar Al Wa7a, only quiet Egyptians are there, in their work clothes and their rubber boots and wait patiently for someone to employ them for the day. They calmly chat to each other. I always find the scene heart-shaking, ya ghorbah.

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home