Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Eros on a bed of snow

While preparing the words of distance, while finding again the horror vacui as a constant expression dictator and censor through eloquence, I breed a modest desire: to read again in public the short story of Alexandros Papadiamantis, "Ο Έρωτας στα χιόνια". Let it be noted that this story was my favorite conclusion for the classes of Modern Greek Literature, before the Christmas break in Greece. So, indeed, I arranged it with Miltos, to be read during his school celebration for the occasion of Christmas, 20th Dec. at the reception hall of the church, at 7 I guess. Yesterday he was telling me that he found some Tcaikovsky music which he considers appropriate for the text as a pale background. I do not believe very much in backgrounds but perhaps it is my neurotic demand for the clear acoustics that should create the bed for the language. And perhaps it is something so truly subjective that I cannot push it further with any claim of value or credibility. How much this story intrigues me...: how exactly other people feel the sound, the colour, the touch, I can never be sure, I can never know. While all my life spins around this fundamental quest, to communicate sound, colour and touch. Funny undermined axiom.
Έτσι, χτες που έγραφα στη Βούλα, αντέγραφα κομμάτια από την αρχή και τη μέση του διηγήματος. Την "αντικειμενική" πρώτη περιγραφή των όρων του χρόνου και των ηρώων. Του Μπαρμπα Γιαννιού και της Πολυλογούς. Κι έπειτα, το απόσπασμα με την επιθυμία του να είχεν ο έρωτας σαϊτες, να είχε βρόχια, να είχε φωτιές. Να τρυπούσε τις αντιστάσεις, να έπιανε τα κοσσυφάκια- τις αθώες καρδιές και να ζέσταινε λιγο τα ψυχρά και ψυχραμένα. Κάθομαι κάποτε στο δωμάτιο, διαβάζοντας φωναχτά, κάτι που κάνω σπανίως, γιατί δεν είμαι ακουστικός τύπος, αλλά τρελλαίνομαι να ακούω. Και αυτό το διήγημα μου φέρνει στο νου έγχορδα του Κορέλλι, ή το "Χειμώνα" από τον Βιβάλντι.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice to see non jordanians in jordan

5:06 AM  
Blogger Vass said...

but was even nicer to see your blog there, with the funny photos and the great descriptions.

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home